Voting open for Thistle’s February Goal of the Month
February was another month where Thistle were actionless as the suspension of football continued. With no McCrea Mortgages Player of the Month award able to be presented, we’ve worked with our friends at Firhill to come up with an alternative award – the McCrea Mortgages February Goal of the Month award.
Following a dip into the archives, eight of the finest goals that Thistle have scored during the month of February have been tracked down for Jags fans to vote on to determine their all-time favourite.
Voting is now open on the Partick Thistle twitter account and through ptfc.co.uk using the “world cup” elimination format. Ties will run for 24 hours with the nomination with most votes moving on to the next round until we get a winner.
The eight goal nominations which will enter in to the first round of voting are:
- Jim Melrose v Celtic – February 1980. An injury time header from the prolific Jags striker ensured a share of the spoils against Celtic in the early 1980s.
- Gerry Britton v Dundee – February 2002. A thumping volley at Dens Park from the King of Spain ensured Thistle’s Scottish Cup adventure continued against Premier League Dundee.
- Stephen O’Donnell v Dundee United – February 2015. A free-flowing move from Thistle culminating in SOD’s terrific finish as Thistle picked up a Tannadice victory for the first time in more than 20 years.
- Gary Harkins v Livingston – February 2009. A trademark Gary Harkins free kick put the seal on a Thistle victory at Almondvale in this First Division clash.
- Mark Roberts v Ross County – February 2007. A 30-yard Firhill finish from Mark Roberts fired Thistle into the lead against Ross County some 14 years ago.
- Kallum Higginbotham v Motherwell – February 2014. A fine individual effort as Higginbotham beat a number of ‘Well players before finishing in a cool and composed manner during an end-to-end clash at Fir Park.
- David Rowson v Livingston – February 2009. A thundering effort from the edge of the box put Thistle three goals up against Livi.
- Chris Erskine v Airdrie United – February 2013. A stunning piece of magic from Erskine secured Thistle all three points for the promotion chasing Jags.
Vote now for your favourite in each of the first round ties to make sure your favourite Thistle goal makes it through to the next stage of voting.